Monday, November 29, 2010

eighty-six

Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency (Dirk Gently, #1)

I love me some Douglas Adams, and have been putting off reading the two Dirk Gently books because I've read the Hitchhiker series, I read Last Chance to See, I've read the Salmon of Doubt, and once these two books are done, I won't have any more of his books to read. That's one of the saddest thoughts on the planet - DNA has been unable to write more books for us for some time now due to the fact that he is dead.

Anyhow, I finally brought myself to read Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency, and I won't tell you what it's about, or who Dirk Gently is. I didn't find out until nearly halfway through the book, so why spoil it for you? I'm still trying to figure out the ending (Spoiler Alert: it involves time travel), and the plot is complex enough to prompt you to begin reading it again as soon as you finish. Now I know where Chuck Palahniuk got it. Instead I will, in the rich tradition that has preceded me, give you funny quotes from the book that only someone as awesome as Douglas Adams could come up with.

"Two figures in particular seemed ill-matched. One, a young man, was tall, thin and angular; even muffled inside a heavy dark coat he walked a little like an affronted heron. The other was small, roundish, and moved with an ungainly restlessness, like a number of elderly squirrels trying to escape from a sack."

"Richard stood transfixed for moment or two, wiped his forehead again, and gently replaced the phone as if it were an injured hamster. His brain began to buzz gently and suck its thumb. Lots of little synapses deep inside his cerebral cortex all joined hands and started dancing around and singing nursery rhymes."

And just to prove that he's not just skilled with his sardonic wit rifle, he can also do grief, where this character reacts to the death of a family member:

"I'm sort of embarrassed by not having a reaction ready. Talking about it would be all right except that you have to use the past tense and that's what..."

I don't want to read The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul, because there won't be any more Douglas Adams to read after that. Maybe I'll reread Hitchhiker's next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment