Wednesday, September 22, 2010

sixty-two

On Basilisk Station (Honor Harrington, #1)
On Basilisk Station has been on my list since I read David Weber's "Oath of Swords" and "The War God's Own" and somehow loved them. Those were in his own fantasy world (knights, armor, gods, dwarves, engineering), whereas I know a lot of people seem to like his larger sci-fi Honor Harrington series. This is the first one.

Honor is a great character, smart, succinct, funny, and manages not to fill all the stereotypes for the "smart female captain." Seeing as it was written in 1993, Weber deserves some applause for this. The story itself was gripping, interesting, and managed to make you think a bit. Set in the distant future, but still somewhat realistic, and relying on physics we can mostly understand, Honor is in the Royal Manticoran Navy, which is one nation of star systems vying for power with others nearby, connected by faster-than-light drives and wormholes. The interesting bits come in when Weber brings us effortlessly into his space combat tactics, local politics, military politics, and the role of the enlightened colonizer. The plot that Honor uncovers is a little predictable, but still interesting. It kept me reading long enough to want to know more about her, and I'll be reading the next in the series soon.

This was also my first book read on my borrowed Kindle - I'll post about it separately soon, after I post on audiobooks, but I'm finding the experience alternately easy to use and annoying to use.

No comments:

Post a Comment