Saturday, April 3, 2010

twenty-four

Dead Until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse, #1)

Dead Until Dark is the novel that started the True Blood HBO series. After watching and enjoying Season 1, I thought I'd give the books a shot, to see if there's more world building and interesting detail in literary format. There's a little bit, but HBO got most of the interesting stuff into their scripts, and added more than was in the books, in my opinion. The writing's not very good, but it does try its best to pull you along. The rootsy, political, and racial interesting aspects of the HBO series are essentially absent from the book - it reads like what I'd always expected the book to read like from all of those hours I spent shelving under "H" in the Waldenbooks mystery section. It's fun and pretty brainless, and I'm glad they made a better TV series out of it. I might try the next book, but I'm looking forward to Season 2 a lot more.

No comments:

Post a Comment