Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Review: The Road

The Road

Grabbed this from the library, took it on the plane to Tucson, and finished before we landed. I wasn't expecting to love it - didn't even know if I'd finish, but it pulls you in. You're expecting something big to happen, or be explained, but it comes at you slower than that, and then all of a sudden they've survived something terrible, and it's time to move on. I thought the roving cannibalistic groups would play a bigger part, but the main thing was the relationship of the father and the son, and keeping on despite absolutely no hope of anything good.

It definitely shatters you emotionally, and I understand why some have called it one of the best environmental books ever (despite no explanation for the cause of the apocalypse). Really makes you think.

And after reading a Rolling Stone profile of Cormac McCarthy, I'm even more fascinated by him. He hangs out at the Santa Fe Institute, which is this educational think tank where scientific and philosophical geniuses hang out and shoot the shit. He is just this author guy that likes hanging out and engaging in conversation with these brilliant people.

It makes me want to read his books, meet him, and join the Santa Fe Institute at some point in my life.

1 comment:

  1. One of my very favorite books, and contains one of my very favorite quotes: "Then they set out along the blacktop in the gunmetal light, shuffling through the ash, each the other's world entire."

    ReplyDelete