Monday, January 4, 2010

Review: New Rules: Polite Musings from a Timid Observer

New Rules: Polite Musings from a Timid Observer


I love Bill Maher.

I love him enough that, despite its flaws, I still managed to enjoy this book.

It came out a few years ago and is therefore a bit dated, so a lot of the pop culture references are outdated (as is the contention that Democrats can't win elections). But whereas recently, Bill has been a fighter for an honest kind of truth about our society and its problems, here he more complains and kvetches for 200 pages. He's also a little high on the bitter/sexist/intolerant meter. I can understand bitterness after losing the presidential election in 2004, and I'd imagine it'd be worse if you lost your job moderating "Politically Incorrect" on ABC because of a mild terrorism joke. But the rest of it just came across as grating.

That would only bring it down to 4 stars for me, but then came the half-assed jokes with easy punchlines. I'm not sure, maybe this'd be true even with his current amazing monologues (if you were to transcribe them), but he too often went for the easy "take my wife, please" kind of stupid joke more often than I expected, given how smart his observations are.

But recommended for a flip-through, he's usually pretty spot-on on most of his observations. (Except, in my humble opinion, his view on monogamous, respectful behavior.)

No comments:

Post a Comment